Wednesday 26 October 2011

Endurancelife Stage 1 – Northumberland

Sunrise on the Northumberland Coastline
 The long awaited Stage 1 of the 2011/2012 Endurancelife Coastal Series finally arrived with a new course and a new venue on the Northumberland Coastline. This is a coastline that I have very little knowledge of and so once again, Endurancelife enabled me to fulfil a couple of things that I always like to do when I do a race, see a new place and run somewhere different and challenging.
I hadn’t actually realised how close to Scotland our race venue was. Bamburgh Castle was literally not much more than an hours’ drive from Edinburgh. Unlike the other races in the Coastal Series, this coastline was gentler. What it lacked in up and down coastal paths it made up for with Castles, beaches and stunning views.
It was an early start to the day, but then again, this is nothing unusual when racing. Niandi and I arrived at Bamburgh just in time to see the sun break the skyline and provide us with an orange glow in the early morning chill. It was quite a start to the day. Andrew Barker from Endurancelife was running around taking photos and capturing video while other EL staff prepared registration and all the last min prep that goes into a race, or should I say races of this size and nature. What has always been a great feature of EL races is the provision to provide distances of varying nature, 10k, half marathon, marathon and now ultra. Of course, if you have raced any EL race before, you know the 10k is 12k, the half is 14 miles, the marathon is 28 miles and the ultra, well, the ultra could be anything…. you always get value for money! And I mean this in a very positive way. Trail racing is never an exact distance and we never want to be cheated.
The Northumberland race in many ways was a unique event. This is the one and only ‘point to point’ race in the CTS and therefore at 0800am the marathon and ultra runners were transported by coach some 30 min away to the race start at Alnwick. Our objective was to run from Alnwick, back to the coast and then run north up the coastline back to Bamburgh Castle.

Northumberland Marathon Route
As you will see from the map, Alnwick was inland and it provided us with quite a beautiful start. It became apparent early on that our day was going to be a ‘good day’. The sun was out, skies were blue and the early morning chill was going to soon disappear and provide us with a warm and clear day for a great run. We grouped together in a field while Gary from EL provided us with our usual pre race briefing. The route was pretty simple; run to the coast, turn left and run north until you reach Bamburgh Castle. Of course, no route is that simple but EL always do a great job of marking the route with red/white tape or white chevrons painted on the floor (eco friendly paint) or objects to help navigate the runners in the right direction. Of course you need to pay attention and keep your eyes peeled; after all, following the route is actually part of the event.

                                                   
Alnwick Castle - race start
 At 0900 we were off and an early group soon formed with  guys up front, myself and Oliver Sinclair in 4th and 5th and then a couple of other guys close behind in 5th and 6th. The early trail was mostly through fields, farmland and woods. We had the early joy of wading through a river up to our knees. Perfect! completely wet feet in the first few miles of a marathon. I actually didn’t mind. To be honest I found the chill from the water nice on the muscles. Today I was running a little cautious as the previous weekend I had raced a 50k. The five days after that race had been devoted just to easy runs of 4 miles twice a day with the emphasis on loosening my legs rather than training.
The six of us pushed to the coastline, as I looked around at the race numbers I was surrounded by 5 ultra runners and I was the only marathon runner. A nice position to be in. In principal the ultra runners should be running a little slower than the marathon runners but considering I had no competition around I had no reason to run any harder.
 After about 45 min we moved from a road section, crossed a bridge and we were then on the coast. Oliver Sinclair lifted the pace slightly, Andrew Bass followed and I basically maintained 3rd place maybe some 100m back.
            
Hoka One One - Stinson B Evo
 As we hit the coast we had a mixture of terrain; sand, road and grassy trails. Because of the mixed nature of the terrain I had decided to use a new pair of Hoka One One shoes called ‘Stinson B Evo’. These shoes are actually only going to be available in 2012 but it was important for me to start testing them so that I could provide feedback. Unlike other shoes in the Hoka range these shoes offer increased grip, a race fit and obviously the supreme cushioning that Hoka offer. EL races always offer challenging terrain, not only for the lungs but for your feet, so, a good pair of shoes is a must. I have to say, that the Stinson B Evo is going to be a great addition to the Hoka range.                                                                              
As we moved up the coastline Andrew Bass had taken the lead followed by Oliver Sinclair and then myself. The 4th and 5th placed runners had run with me for a short while but as we hit the dunes and mixed terrain we had all found our natural place. I could still see Oliver and Andrew but behind me was nobody, so I settled and concentrated on keeping an even pace. I went through the 2nd checkpoint at around 1040 am, this would mean that I was about 10 min behind the Half Marathon runners who started at 1030am.

Ian at Northumberland
The sun was out and it was getting pretty warm. As we ran past our second Castle of the day, Andrew was waiting with his camera at the ready. This section was tough underfoot. You needed to look at your foot placing. Ok, excuses over. Question? Is the above photo concentration or do I really look wrecked?
Wrecked or not I was leading the marathon and in 3rd place overall behind the two ‘ultra’ guys up ahead. As we moved on we now had sections of coastline, long stretches of beach and back markers from the half marathon race ahead. At the 20 mile mark I went through a bad patch…. I could feel some fatigue from the previous weekend and had to dig deep to put the ‘walk demons’ away and keep the tempo going. On the beach sections I cut the lines as best as I could looking for the shortest line. Happy to get my feet wet if meant I saved on distance.
At the final checkpoint Bamburgh Castle was in view and as I shouted ‘about a mile to go?’ the marshal said ‘erm no!’ Aaaagh, this is when the EL value for money kicks in. On those days that you want the marathon to be 26.2 you just know it is not going to be. Endurance running is as much about the mind as the body and when you think your finish is less than 10 min way but then soon realise that actually it is probably going to be more like 30 min away, you need to recoup, dig in and push on.
The final beach section was a long one. The terrain was good though, yes it was softer tan trail but it wasn’t deep sand. Finally the foot of the castle came and we had some nice twisty dunes to navigate our way through.

A mile in the dunes
Out of the dunes we had a climb up to the castle a right turn and then a couple of hundred meters to the finish. A great finish awaited with the castle making the perfect setting. I made the total distance covered just short of 28 miles and my time was 3:46.
In summary this is a beautiful course and it is extremely runable. It is a great first event for those moving to trail racing or those tempted by the EL series of Coastal Races. My buddy and team mate, Oliver Sinclair won the Ultra so it was a great day out for the Endurancelife Team.
The finish - Bamburgh Castle

By Ian Corless Endurancelife Ambassador Ian's website www.runwildrunfree.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment